What questions would you like to ask of developers who have successfully migrated their applications to IPv6? What tips and tricks would you like to learn?
I am planning to update “Migrating Applications to IPv6” this summer to include pointers to some of the newer RFCs and transition tutorials and in doing the update I would like to add in mini-“case studies” of applications that have already made the transition to IPv6. Some of the questions I’m thinking of asking developers include:
- How easy or difficult was the migration to IPv6 for your application?
- What was the most challenging aspect of the migration?
- Were there any specific tools or libraries that proved to be the most helpful?
- Did you encounter any surprises in terms of IP address dependency? i.e. places in your code where you didn’t realize you depended upon an IP address?
- Did you have to make any significant changes to the way you store information? i.e. configuration files, databases, etc.
- How did you test your application in an IPv6 environment?
- Does your app work in both an IPv6-only and dual-stack environment?
- Is there anything you wish you’d known before you started the move to IPv6?
Do you have other questions you would like me to ask? If so, please either leave a message for me here on the site or on one of the social networks where I post this message – or send me an email.
I would also be interested to hear which of these questions above are the most important to you. What are your top 2 or 3 concerns about migrating your app to IPv6?
Also, if you are an application developer who has already ported your application to IPv6 and would be interested in being a case study in the updated book, please contact me as I am looking to get started on these updates soon.
On that note, I’m also thinking about perhaps creating some interviews in video and audio form related to these questions above… so if you would be interested in some multimedia exposure for your application please let me know that, too. (Thanks!)